Thursday, March 1, 2007

Judge Cartwheels for Sobriety

Judge flips for commitment to sobriety

Cartwheeling JugdeThis is only the seond time in four years that Judge Lewis has had to live up to the deal.
CHARLOTTE -- District court judge Hugh Lewis typically sits atop his bench in the new Mecklenburg County courthouse imposing his rulings on thousands of defendants. Dawn Beaumont was one of them.
“I got addicted to pain medication and alcohol and my life was spinning out of control,” the alcohol and drug treatment court client said. “I was at the worst of the worst and was knocking on death's door.”

That's when she was put in front of Judge Lewis, and he made a unique deal with her.
“I have a standing pledge to anyone who comes in front of my courtroom -- if they do 90 meetings in 90 days, I will do cartwheels for them,” he said.

More...

1 comment:

S said...

I think we should get this judge to do a few cartwheels at one of the H&I Conferences!